Wednesday, February 11, 2009

The Big O-N-E!

It's official, we are the parents of a one-year-old! CRAZY! This past year has absolutely flown by. It's hard to believe it's already been a whole year since we welcomed this little guy into our family. We had such a fun day and Tanner seemed to enjoy it all. (Except for the candles...see video) His birthday started off when I woke up at 4:27 AM to sneak in and see him at his exact "birth minute." I think this will be a tradition even though it's a little crazy that early in the morning! It can be our special thing. He actually slept in till 9 AM and then we enjoyed the day together. We had the house all decorated with balloons and of course his birthday door. We had spaghetti and meatballs, a Tanner favorite, for dinner. Then we had Grandma and Grandpa Nelson, Janna, and Grandma and PapPap Furin over for presents and cake and ice cream. Tanner got so many gifts, cards, and phone calls from so many friends and family. Thank you all for your love and kindness! Tanner's so lucky to have so many people that care about him!

February 10, 2008 - February 10, 2009



In honor of his big day here's a few things he's been up to lately...
  • Tanner is walking all over the place
  • He LOVES to explore EVERYTHING
  • He's way more cuddly these days and Mom and Dad LOVE to cuddle any chance they get!
  • He's really starting to learn how things work and imitates us a lot
  • He'll use just about anything as a stool to get just a little bit higher in order to get whatever he can possibly reach
  • He has 12 teeth now - 4 molars!
  • He LOVES to be outside even in the wind or cold
  • He's such a people person and sure knows how to make people smile and get ALL the attention he wants
  • He also loves to pull all his dirty diapers out of the diaper pale, pull the plug out of the tub - ending his bath prematurely, and b-lining for the "naughty" places the second the child gate is gone - it's like he can sense it
  • He's weaned now and he's a pro at drinking from his sippy
  • He's such a happy, friendly, fun boy to have around
Here's a few video clips and pictures of the big day. We're grateful for all the gifts, but Grandma Hilton had a special request to see him open theirs...

Opening Grandma and Grandpa Hilton's Presents


Birthday Cake:
warning: view at your own risk
it's a little hard to watch - at least for his mother


Tears from getting burned, soothed by some ice cream, washin' it all down
This was especially sad because we've been practicing blowing for months and he really is a pro. Oh well, it makes for a funny memory right!? He ate so much cake and ice cream he was up till 1 AM on a sugar high. Ha! (Note to self: never feed your one-year-old as much cake as you serve all the adults.)


Tanner "helping" make his cake the night before - a.k.a. carrying a baster and taste testing the frosting

Dad and Tanner in front of the birthday door

THE Hammer Cake - A joint effort on Dean and I's part

Tanner got a piano from us

Puzzle from Grandma and Grandpa Hilton

PapPap Furin, Dad, and Grandpa Nelson

Grandma Nelson, Janna, Grandma Furin, Tanner, and PapPap Furin

"Stop stealing my toys Dad!" Tanner got this lawn mower from Grandma and Grandpa Nelson

9 comments:

Adrienne said...

so cute. HAPPY BIRTHDAY (to both of you.. sorry I was late on yours)

Beth said...

That was almost as good as being there; thanks, Anny! The little burned fingers broke my heart, but he recuperated pretty quickly. He's such a cutie and the cake was awesome; good job, Mom and Dad! Give Tanner extra birthday hugs and kisses from all of us!
Love always,
Mom

Nelson Nitwits said...

Happy Birthday Tanner! I don't know why our dino cake caught your eye...I have no idea how you did that impressive hammer! I liked your birthday door as well. Wow! And, I know I love my kids, but I don't think I'd ever get up at 4:27 am. :) You're amazing. I'm glad you had such a good day with Tanner.

Laura said...

Oh poor baby. But it looks like he had a great day regardless of a little burn. I can't believe he is so big. Awesome cake too! Love you guys.

Staci said...

How adorable! So fun to see him growing up parallel to my little man- but 12 teeth! Dallin only has 7! So crazy!:) Glad life is going well for you guys across the country! He's such a little man! I love it!

Kelly said...

How Fun! What a great day. He is so cute! I love the bday door idea. The hammer cake is Amazing! You did such a great job! I love it!

Sue said...

Too cute! I'm glad to see you recruited Dean on the cake...it turned out great.

The Nelsons said...

I read this a few days ago but then something happened with the kids (forget what) and I didn't get a chance to comment. LOVE the cake! You're so talented. Seriously. I think you're going to be my idol. Tanner is so stinkin' cute. Sad about the burn - his little face!! Is it legal for him to marry Elise? Love that little boy! I so wish you guys lived closer. Or we did. Or whatever. :)

t foust said...

Wow - I can't believe Tanner is one!! Cute cake, and I got a kick out of Tanner chowing his cake and ice cream down to the last drop!